Athletes must be competent in a number of strength related factors in order to cope with the specific physical demands of a sport.
Athletes must be competent in a number of strength related factors in order to cope with the specific physical demands of a sport. These factors may include differing levels of sport specific endurance, speed, strength, power, agility, and flexibility, as well as optimal body composition. This highlights the need for a carefully planned, effective strength training process, designed to ensure the integrated development of all of these physical abilities.
The underlying principle in designing the training programme is to achieve the optimal balance between training stress and restoration. The training must stress the body sufficiently to cause adaptation without inducing excessive fatigue and potential overtraining and result in an overall increased level of performance.
Module 3 will address gym based training methods, including activation, injury prevention, strength, power and core.
During this module students will learn:
• Principles & Application of Pre-Training & Pre-Competition Activation
– Understanding the key stages involved in raising the functional potential of the athlete specific to the physical demands of the sport or event, and establishing the relationship between neural activities and those demands.
– Identifying specific activation drills and exercises designed to enhance the functional potential of the athlete.
• Principles & Application of Injury Prevention Training
– Identifying the mechanisms and risk factors associated with specific injuries, and understanding the key stages in the injury prevention process for athletes.
– Identifying specific drills and exercises designed to reduce injury occurrence in the athlete.
• Principles & Application of Strength Training
– Understanding the process of increasing the ability of the athlete to generate force through strength exercise selection, prescription of training frequency, intensity and volume, and the assignment of appropriate training loads and thresholds, in accordance with the performance profile of the athlete and the needs of the sport.
– Identifying specific lifts and strength training exercises designed to enhance force production in the athlete in a way which is transferable to sport performance.
• Principles & Application of Power Training & Plyometrics
– Understanding the process of enhancing the ability of the athlete to produce force explosively through appropriate selection of exercise, prescription of training frequency, intensity and volume, and the assignment of appropriate training loads and thresholds, in accordance with the performance profile of the athlete and the needs of the sport.
– Identifying specific training exercises and modalities designed to increase the rate at which the athlete can produce explosive force in a way which is transferable to sport performance.
• Principles & Application of Core Training
– Understanding importance of the core to athletic performance, and identifying the key stages involved in developing and maintaining functional core strength and stability.
– Identifying specific core training exercises which facilitate stability and appropriate muscular recruitment under functional loading conditions in a way which is transferable to sport performance.
Most frequent questions and answers
The course is delivered mostly online. All coursework is available through pre-recorded online lectures and also live webinars. It is possible to also attend our onsite practical sessions. but it is not mandatory. Attendance for week long on site practical is not part of the fees and is at an extra cost.
The degree is awarded by the
The International Telematic University UNINETTUNO is a distance teaching university established in 2005 and recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research. It delivers academic titles having legal status in Italy, Europe and worldwide Uninettuno is a global online University with over 23,000 students. A leading global university in distance education, the online teaching proposed by Uninettuno is a guarantee of quality, professionalism and innovation.
UNINETTUNO students, coming from more than160 countries, can access their courses from wherever they are with no limits of space and time: the psycho-pedagogic and didactic model was born from the results achieved by 25 years of international research programs and was realized by the Rector Prof. Maria Amata Garito and by her research team.
Award winning University for excellence in
on-line distance learning
The International Telematic University UNINETTUNO is awarded the E-excellence quality label for the best didactic and psycho-pedagogical models adopted on its e-learning platform. The quality label is awarded to the UNINETTUNO by European Association of Distance Teaching Universities (EADTU).
UNINETTUNO is among the three best Universities, furthermore, the only distance university that got the grade “B – fully satisfactory” by the evaluation of Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of
Universities and Research Institutes (ANVUR). The outcome gained
testifies to the excellence of its teaching and organizational model, which is shared and acknowledged by both the International and the Italian scientific community, and also to the flaws of the other Italian distance institutions in terms of teaching quality.
A different learning experience
The main educational tool of the International Telematic
University UNINETTUNO is the Internet-based learning
environment where teaching and learning are carried on in 6 languages—Italian, English, French, Arabic, Greek, Polish — and it allows implementing a new psycho-pedagogic model by Prof. Maria Amata Garito© that is characterized by the shift from:
teacher’s central role to the student’s central role;
knowledge transfer to knowledge creation;
integration between practice and theory;
a passive and competitive learning to active and collaborative
This psycho-pedagogic model by Prof. Maria Amata Garito© is characterized by the highest degree of flexibility for the student. By this model, the student can build his own learning path in function of his educational needs and of his skill-level.
The course is assessed by continuous assessment, so there are no onsite written exams. This degree is a professional masters programme, so you are encouraged to engage in your own professional practice if possible.
We prefer that you already have a Bachelors Degree in a sports discipline, or at least, closely related to it. Consideration will be given to professionals who have a established track record in sports fitness.
The total cost of the MProf is €8000. The course is divided up into a number of progression levels. The first award is the Post Graduate Certificate after you complete 20 ECTS credits, then after another 20 ECTS credits you are awarded a Post Graduate Diploma. Once you achieve 90 ECTS credits you gain your Masters Degree. You can exit at any stage of the programme and continue later. So, if you start from beginning and complete entire course, you will have a PG Cert, PG Dip and a MProf.